WomenBloom is a website and online community inspiring and supporting women to make the most of mid-life.
Today’s women in their 40s and beyond come to mid-life with better health, and more skills, experience, and options than ever before. Along with the positives, however, often come complicated changes in families and relationships, professional and personal aspirations, our bodies, and our self-identity.
We are seeking submissions from women interested in writing non-fiction stories, essays, and various other written pieces that convey their experience of mid-life. We want to capture the wisdom of ‘real’ women you’d meet at work, in your community, at church….the kind of women we all know, not necessarily ‘famous’ people.
Content types and themes
Keeping the above in mind, we are looking for emotionally compelling pieces that illustrate the many facets of women’s mid-life experience, positive and negative, and everything in between. They could evoke compassion, inspiration, laughter, sadness, self-reflection, or stimulate action. We are looking for stories that are thoughtful and thought-provoking. We hope to give our members insights that help them feel supported, hopeful, connected, inspired, and better-equipped to make the most of mid-life, whatever their experience may be.
Few topics are off limits.
Written pieces might be:
1. Essays about women who are doing cool or unusual things at this time of their lives, as well as women who are experiencing difficult times or challenges
2. Esays that speak to your mid-life views/beliefs about Beauty, Passion, Sex, Self-identity, Meaning, Work, Creativity, Personal Renewal, Transformation, Life Lessons, Wisdom, etc.
3. Letters written to yourself at age 20 telling what you know now that you wish you had known then
4. Poems about your mid-life experience
5. Essays about your dreams for the second half of your adulthood
6. Ongoing chronicles presenting a particular angle on mid-life over time
If you have other ideas, we would be happy to discuss those with you.
1. Essays and letters should be no more than 1000 words.
2. Submissions can be emailed as attachments to
3. Submissions should include:
- # Your full name
- # Email and phone contact information
- # Story word count
- # Story Title
- # Short bio, 75 words or less
- # Optional: a picture in jpeg that can be used if the story is published.